Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley (1910-2008)

President Hinckley (the Prophet of our Church) died this evening. I don't know where to even begin to describe the influence of this man on my life and the lives of countless others. I feel very fortunate that today was Ward Conference and I got to sustain him as Prophet one last time and have Lexie and Joseph do it, too. I love the feeling I get when we do this and the Spirit testifies that he is called of God. We love him dearly and are grateful for his life and service to so many and hope to be like him. He had such a great outlook on life, always so happy and optimistic about things. He encouraged each of us to look on the brighter side of things-to be happy and show our gratitude for what we have. He encouraged us to stand a little taller, to be a little better, and to stand for something. We have many memories of him and his teachings. He put a great emphasis on the family, temples, and recognizing the good in others regardless of their faith. We will miss his wisdom, testimony, and wonderful sense of humor, but we know that the best tribute we can give to him is to follow his example in living the teachings of Jesus Christ. We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! We both went to Ward Conference on Sunday (only the one I went to wasn't for my ward, and I came in just after they sustained President Hinckley). Anyways, one of my memories of President Hinckley has to do with Kansas, so, in remembrance of him, happy Kansas Day!

    ReplyDelete