Tuesday, January 29, 2008

From Durer To Rembrandt

Today I went with Rick to this amazing exhibit at our Stake Center. It has been ages since I've been to an art exhibit, thus I spent more than my fair share of time there. I had so much fun seeing so many artists I was familiar with and getting acquainted with others.
A huge THANK YOU to Kristin for watching my kiddos!
The exhibit had more than 200 etchings, engravings, and woodcuts depicting scenes from the Bible and they were incredible. Words really cannot express how amazing it was to look at these works, read the correlating scripture reference and see how it moved the Artist to create such an amazing piece of art. One of my favorites, of course, was a German Bible from, I think, 1510. Wow, it is in such incredible condition and was so exciting to look at it and be able to read and understand it. I loved walking around and just imagining what all of the artists were thinking as they were etching and writing. I love how some of them would add aspects of their time into the works-the style of dress, foliage, etc. There was one by Rembrandt of the Holy Family and Joseph is in the back reading a book and Mary is nursing Jesus. The best part is, she had totally kicked off her shoe. I don't know if it's because that is how so much of my time is spent lately, but it cracked me up. I've done a number of papers for school on Albrecht Durer and absolutely loved seeing so many of his works-definitely a favorite. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about the history of some of the pieces and how they were acquired and how very few owners the different works have had. Amazing! I don't even know how to explain it. It was such an amazing testimony to see how the Spirit of the Lord moved upon these men to create such beauty and truth. They had a great understanding of the Gospel and such a talent for sharing it with the world. Thanks to all those who made this exhibit possible and for sharing these gifts with us. You can check out http://www.rembrandtexhibit.org/ to see the online gallery.

1 comment:

  1. I went to this today. It changed my life. And I decided I really really want a print of Mary and Joseph helping Jesus to walk. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete