Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Dad

My father passed away this morning. We learned about two weeks ago that he had cancer. It shocked all of us at how quickly this happened. The grace, dignity, and humility in which he lived his life was evident all through the end. We were so blessed to be able to spend this last week with him and my family. The Lord's hand was evident through all of this. Amazingly, all 12 of his children were able to be together with him in his final hours (my little brother came home from his mission last night-long story). My father is truly the most Christlike man I have ever met. I am so grateful for his love and example to me. It's such a blessing to be able to say and mean that I have the best Dad in the world.

I will post more about this later, but you can read a little bit here and here about him.

25 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I'm so sorry that you've had to go through this, but I'm definitely glad you were able to be there!!! Please take the time you need to be with family, etc. He sounds like a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad for your loss Cheryl. I'm so glad you were all able to come home. Your father truly was a wonderful man. We'll all miss him. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts and prayers are with your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs and condolences. I'm glad you all got to be there. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Cheryl I am truly sorry for your families loss! You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're praying for your family. Your dad is such a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Cheryl, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cheryl, I am just so sorry for your loss. I looked at the links that you posted and it seems like your father did some amazing things for the world. We will be thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was good to talk to you last night and I must say again how sorry I am for your loss. The lives of your family members and mine have been intertwined for the last 16+ years. Your dad, and your mom also, are amazing examples of how to live the gospel to the fullest. Your dad has touched so many lives and will be missed greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Cheryl. I am so, so, so very sorry for your loss. I'm sure it hasn't been easy; what a short time to prepare. My prayers and thoughts are with you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheryl, I'm so sorry to hear that. Your dad is a wonderful man and a great example to all who knew him. His is a loss that will be felt in our world! I'm glad you got to spend some time with him. Your family will be in our prayers and I know that Heavenly Father will continue to bless each of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheryl-I'm so sorry for your loss. We are thinking of you and please let me know if there is anything I can do (long distance anyways).
    Love, Kelli
    PS-Loved reading the articles about your dad, he sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure your dad was an unbelievable man because just look at you...you are his unbelievable daughter. Thank you for example and we will keep you and your family in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your love and prayers. They truly have been felt. We feel very blessed and are grateful for all of you and your examples to us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheryl, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My prayers are with you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. my heart goes out to you, Cheryl. what an unexpected course life can take. How fortunate that he had that last week with all of his children, a bright light for all of you. may you find comfort in the times ahead. my thought and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a shock when I read the first sentence of this post. I'm SO SORRY for your loss - and what an amazing dad. Thanks for sharing the links. You'll be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. we are sorry and have been praying for you all. we hope to get to see you soon - we sure miss you! Your dad sounds like an amazing man, and I only wish I could have met him. My dad is great, too...I would be so sad to have him leave this earth so soon, but the Lord must need him for a greater work. as we heard about all this from Joyce it was terrible, but as it went so fast and he got worse so quickly, I told Jason that is how I'd want to go - fast. So hard on the family that stays behind, but better for the one suffering. We are truly sorry for your loss and love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Miss you and hope to hear from you soon. Hope all is as well as can be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cheryl- We are thinking about you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your family has been in our prayers every day since we found out. It's quite a shock still - if you ever want to talk, give me a call!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday to Andrew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you again everyone. We have really been blessed by so many tender mercies of the Lord through all of this. Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, cards, emails...they've meant a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so sorry. We are praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cheryl, I'm a dork and haven't been to your blog in a while and just now saw this. I know how much you love your dad and so my heart is very sad for you. What a blessing to him and you all to have all the kids there. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete