Friday, October 24, 2008

What Do You Think?

So, I've been thinking about this for a few years now. But, recently, I've thought a lot more about this. I'm not trying to say, who is right, wrong, who we should or should not vote for. I am curious only on this statement & what you think would happen if we followed the counsel.

In our ward, like every other ward around the country, we were read this statement from the First Presidency about political participation.
"Latter-day Saints as citizens are to seek out and then uphold leaders who will act with integrity and are wise, good, and honest. Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties.
Therefore, in this election year, we urge you to register to vote, to study the issues and candidates carefully and prayerfully, and then to vote for and actively support those you believe will most nearly carry out your ideas of good government."

During the 2004 election, we lived in Baltimore. They read this statement, & I remember some of our friends urging that we really pray about who we are voting for, really listen for whom the Lord wants you to vote (we weren't supporting the same people). Anyway, it made me wonder. If every member of the Church followed this counsel, "to study the issues and candidates carefully and prayerfully" would we all come to the same conclusion or not?

Let me know what you think.

8 comments:

  1. No; because everyone has their own interpretation of the Gospel and everyone is in a different place in their life. One candidate would help one family more and would get that answer from the Lord whereas another family in a different place in their life may get a different candidate as an answer because s/he would be better for them. There are some subjects that the Lord is clear on. Those are coming up more and more in politics. Other than that, each person can get a different answer from the same Lord.... at least thats my opinion....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not necessarily. I think Jess has a good point; everyone has a different set of circumstances. However, I think it has more to do with the fact that the candidates running (unfortunately) are not being honest. There's no such thing as the perfect candidate (although I would argue that Mitt Romney might have been, but MANY disagree with me), and so asking the Lord "which one is right?" might illicit different answers for different reasons.

    For example: Obama or McCain. Well, most Mormons would say "McCain! He's Republican!" and other Mormons would say "Obama! He's more socialist!"

    Who's right?

    Neither.

    So, we pray and do our best and vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that people can get different answers based on what is most important to them. For instance, I wouldn't be upset in the least if Roe vs. Wade were overturned, but the gov't helping people who are in need is important to me too. I think people vote for different reasons that are all valid and important. There will never be a perfect candidate...until the Second Coming at least :) You have to try to judge character which is very hard to do with the way people have to "play the game" to win an election. I think both the current candidates really want to do good and change the world. They just have different ways about going at it. I think the Lord would be happy with us choosing either candidate this time around. I hope people do start praying more instead of voting along a particular party line. IMO, both parties have good qualities and stand for good things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question Cheryl. I wonder if I would be submissive enough to change who I would vote for if I sincerely prayed about the issue and then was told that my decision was not correct. Sometimes (ok, pretty much all the time) I want the answer to be the answer I have already come up. Over and over I learn the lesson that my perspective (while very enlightened for a mortal :)) is vastly limited and that God's is always perfect... I just can't see it. Whether or not that is because of the "place" I am at doesn't have a bearing on what is right or wrong. What matters is whether I am willing to accept truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure that this is really an answer to your question, but with this big election, I feel like the answer to who will make a great president is reminiscent of of another famous prayer. J.S. asked which church to join and came up with none. I keep trying to figure out which guy will do our country good and just don't feel like either is a good option. So, I'll vote b/c voting is what we're supposed to do, then just pray for the winner to have strength, goodness and the spirit with him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recently I heard a temple worker pray that U.S. citizens would vote for whomever Heavenly Father wanted to be president. It caught me a little off guard. Whom would He want us to vote for? I've asked Dad a question similar to yours, but I don't remember what he said exactly. I think it was something along the lines of He will answer our prayers, but sometimes the answer doesn't matter so much to Him as it does to us. I know He likes for us to be patriotic (refer to President Packer's most recent talk), and I think voting is one way of being patriotic.

    I like a sign that I saw last week: VOTE NOV 4 NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, lots of good opinions. Currently, here is mine. My feeling is yes, we would get the same answer. I don't think that either candidate is the best choice (I'm still wondering how we came up with these two as our best options to lead America--I don't think so). However, the Lord works with what he has, the same as he does with us. I think that he has an idea of whom would best carry out his "ideas of good government". And I think he has an idea of good government. We've seen that through history. I don't think that every man who came together to write the Constitution had the same idea of what government should be. But, through the promptings of the Lord hearts were softened, minds became one, the Constitution-our government was born. I think it is the same today. I think the problem lies with us, whether we are willing, ready, and able to listen to the answer and then follow it. There are my two cents (although I could say more and give more examples, that is what I've come up with in a nutshell).--cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think in some elections there is a candidate that is meant to fulfill part of God's plan, and in those instances we would all get the same answer. I also feel that in some elections it is not so important to God who wins, it's more important that His people are praying, studying the issues/candidates, getting involved in their community and educating themselves on what they feel will make the world better. When that is happening, I think it's possible for people to get different answers because everyone has a different idea of what "good government" is. Even though God knows what perfect government is and who would come closest to it, he could allow us to get different answers as a way of teaching us (by experience) how we should reform our ideas of good government for the next time we vote.-Rick

    ReplyDelete